Easy and relatively economical to make. Most importantly, it is also delicious, yet far less fatty than the traditional variety. Make it in one big dish or else do individual servings. Soak the cashews for a few hours first (or even overnight).
If you want to see a video of it, scroll down… Jane Easton shows you how easy it is to make.
Good plain vegan chocolate: Divine, Organica, Plamil, Lidl Fair Trade Dark, Waitrose dark Belgian – if buying other brands, always check the pack as some companies add butterfat/whey/milk etc)
This recipe has come straight from our Christmas recipe guide (delicious Christmas starters, mains, desserts, drinks, cheese and truffels!)
Not too tricky
- 4 slices of bread taken from a good quality, substantial, unsliced white loaf – sourdough works well, for example. The slices need to be about 2cm/1 inch
- 85 ml/3fl oz soya or other plant milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 60g/2oz caster sugar
- 2 tbsp Amaretto liqueur or brandy (optional but very nice!)
Mocha Cream Topping
- 110g/4 oz unsalted whole cashews or cashew pieces (blanched almonds also work), soaked
- 1 pack firm or extra firm silken tofu (approximately 350g), drained and pressed down to get rid of excess water
- 110g/4oz caster sugar
- 2-3 tbsp very strong espresso coffee OR 3 tsp instant coffee dissolved in a little just-boiled hot water to make a smooth syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder and a small sieve or shaker
- and an optional 50g (half a large bar) dark vegan chocolate – grated
1. Cover the cashews in cold water and set aside in a cool place.
2. Heat the soya milk and the 60g/2oz caster sugar in a small saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. Add the vanilla essence plus the Amaretto/brandy if using, mix in well then turn off the heat.
3. Remove the crusts from the bread and discard. Cut the bread into triangles and arrange it on the bottom of a dish. Pour the milk mixture over the bread evenly, sprinkle with the cocoa powder and set aside. Alternatively, cut the bread into rounds and line the bases of several small jars or glasses – you may need two layers in the jars so allow two circles per jar.
3. Make the Mocha Cream. Blitz the soaked cashews until smooth then add the drained silken tofu, coffee, sugar and vanilla. Blitz again until everything is very smooth and well integrated.
4. Spoon the Mocha Cream evenly over the bread base then sprinkle the rest of the cocoa powder over evenly. If using jars you may need to do two layers of cream rather than one.
5. Chill for at least an hour then top with grated chocolate just before serving.
Did you know that Vegan Recipe Club is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.