Chilli Non Carne
This Martin Shaw recipe is a Viva! classic – it’s been fed to tens of thousands of people at Viva!’s Incredible Veggie Roadshows and ticks all the boxes: cheap, easy, freezes well and is enjoyed by meat eaters and veggies alike! The original recipe uses frozen veggie mince, widely available but we also offer a wholefood option using whole lentils. Make it mild for kids and other chilli-haters by using just a small amount of mild chilli powder – just serve hot pepper sauce on the side for heat-lovers!
Budget options: use dried savoury TVP (soya mince) or home cooked whole lentils.
- Guacamole – mash up 1-2 ripe avocadoes with a little salt, a little crushed garlic and a squeeze or two of lime or lemon juice – taste as you go! A little chopped chilli; chopped tomato; fresh chopped coriander also good… Or try our Pea Guacamole recipe!
- Brown or white rice; quinoa; tortillas or wraps
- Tomato salsa, from a jar, chilled tub or home-made
- Omit veggie mince and use a tin of lentils/beans (approximately 250g drained)
- Replace wheat tortillas with Warburton’s GF wraps or a similar GF and vegan product
- Use lentils/beans, as with GF option
- Omit peanut butter OR use another nut or seed butter if the allergy is specific to some nuts but not all (eg cashew, tahini would work)
- Replace oil with oil spray or use 1 teaspoon oil only
- Omit peanut butter – but remove about a small ladle’s worth of chilli from the pan, blend it then return to pan – this will thicken the sauce and make it a bit more creamy
- Replace frozen veggie mince with dried veggie mince or lentils/beans
- Omit guacamole – replace with our Pea Guacamole recipe: low-fat, protein-rich and budget
Mexican, Central and South American
Optional extras / notes
30-40 minutes, depending on how quick you are!
Did you know that Vegan Recipe Club is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.