A lovely quick, nutritious meal using store cupboard ingredients and ready-prepped veg. We've also been assured by mums that this is a great way of getting your kids to eat veg because they get to assemble their own fajitas from bowls! And the veg can be chopped up small.
Top Tip - it's easy to make home made guacamole (avocado dip). However, Sainsbury's Be Good To Yourself Low Fat is vegan.
Wraps, 1-2 per person: eg Old El Paso fajitas OR Discovery tortillas - preferably wholemeal. Mission wraps are also vegan - check other brands for suitablity.
Oil or oil spray
1 pack of plain tofu, cubed OR vegan chicken-style pieces such as Fry's, VBites or Quorn vegan pieces
Stir-fry sauce, eg Tesco Black Bean sauce or Blue Dragon Garlic & Ginger (wok fry 3 mins)
1 pack of stir-fried vegetables
1 red pepper, sliced very small
6 spring onions, sliced small
1 large leek, chopped small
4 crushed garlic cloves or a big squeeze of garlic paste
1 jar of fajita sauce (El Paso, Discovery or other brand that is vegan)
Guacamole (or use a vegan ready-made version - see above!)
2 ready-to-eat avocados
1 clove garlic, crushed OR ½ tsp garlic paste
Tomato salsa, from a jar or fresh tub
Tub of Tofutti sour crème OR jar of vegan mayo, eg Plamil
1. If cooking plain tofu, drain and gently squeeze as much water out as possible. Cut into cubes. (Ready-cooked Cauldron marinated tofu pieces also work well but add near the end).
2. In a non-stick pan, cook the plain tofu or chicken-style pieces in a little oil or oil spray. Add the stir-fry sauce and set aside.
3. In a wok, fry all the vegetables for a few minutes. Add the fajita sauce just before the end - and the cooked tofu/vegan chicken pieces.
4. Make the guacamole: peel the avocados, remove the stone and mash them up with a fork in a small bowl. Mix in the garlic, salt and lime juice, tasting and adding more if desired.
5. Warm the fajitas/wraps by wrapping them in a clean teatowel or kitchen paper – microwave for 20-30 seconds. Alternatively, wrap in foil and heat in a warm oven for 10-15 minutes. Put everything in separate dishes on table; everyone tucks in!