Tony's Hot Pot
A classic and tasty British dish, veggie/vegan style. This uses frozen veggie mince, which is available just about everywhere: Linda McCartney; Asda; Sainsbury;Tesco etc - just avoid Quorn which contains egg and dairy.
Good served with greens (eg broccoli; Brussels sprouts; sauteed shredded cabbage; curly kale) and lightly steamed carrots.
- 2 large onions, red or white
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ K potatoes
- Mixed herbs, fresh or dried
- 230g (about half a packet) of frozen veggie mince
- Salt and lots of fresh black pepper
- 2 handfuls nutritional yeast flakes (Engevita, from health food shops or online)
- 570ml/1pint vegan stock - use 2 heaped tsp vegan bouillon like Marigold OR 2 crumbled Green Oxo
1. Thinly slice the onions and garlic cloves. Sweat (very gently fry) in 2 tbsp of the oil until tender. Pre-heat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6.
2. Meanwhile, peel and slice the potatoes thinly. If they are large, cut in half lengthways before slicing. Lay them in a gratinee or medium sized lasagne dish until half full.
3. Spread the cooked onion/garlic mixture, herbs and the veggie mince over the potatoes. Season, using plenty of black pepper.
4. Finish layering with the rest of the potatoes and add the stock.
5. Sprinkle the remaining olive oil and yeast flakes over everything.
6. Cook in the hot oven for one hour or until top is golden and the potatoes are tender - test gently with a toothpick or sharp knife. It should be very moist - if not, add a little more stock and cook for another few minutes. Side vegetables can be cooked towards the end of the cooking time - see above for suggestions.