Moroccan Rice Pudding
This is just delectable – all the rich creaminess of rice pudding with a fruity, aromatic twist – deeply comforting and also healthy, hooray!
Picture courtesy of www.flavourphotos.com/
Not too tricky
Middle Eastern and Moroccan
1L soya milk (1 carton)
100g/3oz short grain brown rice
Half a handful of unsulphured apricots, chopped
Half a handful of raisins
Orange flower water (from¬†large supermarkets and Asian grocers etc)
½ tsp almond extract
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp agave syrup
75g/2½ oz wholemeal semolina (available from health food shops)
80-100ml/3-3½ fl oz water
1-2 pinches ground cardamom
Orange zest for garnish – and cinnamon sticks (optional)
1. Pour soya milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
2. Add rice and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until rice is cooked – stir frequently to stop rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan and stir milk skin back in!
3. Meanwhile, place chopped apricots and raisins in a small bowl.
4. Cover with orange flower water and set aside.
5. Mix semolina with water to make a smooth paste.
6. Add to rice pudding when rice is ready.
7. Stir until thickened then add dried fruit and orange flower water, syrup, cardamom, vanilla extract and almond essence.
8. Add more water if rice/semolina mixture is too thick.
9. Serve hot or cold – if you wish to eat it cold, spoon into small bowls and chill before serving.
10. Garnish with orange zest – and a piece of cinnamon stick if you’re feeling arty!
Did you know that Vegan Recipe Club is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.