White Nut Timbales
Chava is a professional food writer and photographer www.flavourphotos.com and first started to create mouth-watering vegan recipes and photographs for Viva! in 2006. She lives in the Cotswolds with her partner and two young boys, Sam and Alex.
She says: ‘These timbales make an unusual and very attractive Christmas centrepiece. They’re lovely with a full-flavoured tomato sauce or rich red onion gravy… and of course all your festive trimmings. Vegan smoked cheese is widely available now, as Bute Island Sheese make the dairy-free range for Tesco.’
For sauce recipes click or right-click here!
- Using a food processor will save a lot of time when you make fresh breadcrumbs as well as for chopping the pine nuts, chestnuts and artichokes. Use quick bursts to retain some bite and texture.
- You will also need a baking tray lined with non-stick sheet, and 6 cutting rings (7.5cm/3in) lined with baking parchment.
- 45g/1½oz vegan margarine, eg Biona, Pure, Vitalite, Tesco Free From
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
- 100g/3½oz pine nuts, finely chopped
- 125g/4oz white breadcrumbs (Use Biona for GF option)
- 1 lemon
- 60g/2oz smoked vegan cheese, grated, eg Tesco or Sheese
- 280g jar (170g drained weight) sliced artichokes in olive oil, drained and chopped (Aldi and Lidl are very good value)
- 200g/7oz ready-cooked and peeled chestnuts, all but 3 chopped (eg Merchant Gourmet brand)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quantity of egg replacer (e.g. Orgran’s No Egg or Ener-G) – see packet instructions
- 2 tbsp each of chopped fresh parsley, sage and thyme
- 6 sage leaves
- Heat the margarine in a pan, add onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add pine nuts, breadcrumbs, rind and juice of half the lemon, cheese, artichokes and chestnuts. Season and stir in the egg replacer and herbs.
- Divide the mixture between the rings. Firmly press down and smooth the tops with a palette knife or the back of a spoon. Cut the remaining lemon into slices. Arrange half a lemon slice, half a chestnut and 1 sage leaf on top of each. Cover and chill until needed.
- Set the oven to 200°C/400˚F/Gas Mark 6. Bake timbales for 15-20 minutes.
Did you know that Vegan Recipe Club is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.