Strawberries & Cream Cupcakes
Think strawberries and cream in a cake... delicious! Light, fluffy, moist and perfect for summer celebrations vegan style :)
- 250g/2 cups self-raising flour
- 250g/1¼ cups caster sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100ml flavourless oil (eg rapeseed)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml/1 cup soya milk
- 5 tsp cider vinegar
- 100g/6 tbsp vegan margarine
- 100g/6 tbsp vegetable shortening (eg Trex... this can be found in most supermarkets)
- 1kg/9 cups icing sugar, sieved
- 60-85ml/⅓ cup plant milk
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- A few drops of red, vegan, food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4
- Line a muffin tray with muffin cases or cupcake cases. This recipe will make 10 large cupcakes (as pictured) or 15-20 smaller ones.
- Mix the soya milk and cider vinegar in a bowl and then set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.
- Add the soya/cider vinegar mixture then the oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Only combine the wet and dry ingredients together just before you are ready to put them in the oven.
- Stir everything together using a metal spoon but not too much, only until everything is combined.
- Tap the bowl onto the work surface to stop the raising agents working too quickly (this is a tip courtesy of the amazing Ms Cupcake!)
- Fill the cupcake cases to ¾ full and tap the tray again.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-25 minutes depending on the size of the cupcake. They need to be slightly golden on the surface.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool thoroughly before icing.
- Whisk together the margarine, vegetable shortening and vanilla either by hand or electric whisk.
- Add the icing sugar, a quarter at a time, along with the plant milk until combined.
- You can add more icing sugar or plant milk if the icing gets too wet or too dry.
- Separate the icing into two and place it in two different bowls.
- Add a couple of drops of the red food colouring to one of the bowls of icing until you get your desired colour.
- Add your favourite cupcake nozzle to a piping bag (these can be bought from supermarkets, online and kitchen shops) and then fill with one colour of the icing.
- Ice half the cakes with the white icing and half with the pink icing.
- Decorate with strawberries, freeze-dried raspberries/strawberries and strawberry sauce (eg Askeys).