‘Tuna’ & Sweetcorn Sandwich
This is a great vegan, fishless alternative to this traditional sandwich. Perfect for lunchboxes or use the filling for jacket potatoes, toasties, pasta bake, puff pastry tart.
(you can now also buy vegan tuna (eg Loma Linda, Marigold) if you fancy speeding things up… just mix it with mayo and sweetcorn and you’re good to go!)
- 150g/generous 5oz raw almonds, soaked for minimum 2 hours but ideally overnight (with or without skins)
- 1½ tsp Dijon mustard (or 1 tsp English)
- 4-5 tbsp vegan mayo to taste
- 2-3 tsp fresh or bottled lemon juice, to taste
- ¼ tsp salt – add more at end if necessary
- Black pepper, to taste
- 200g (approx.) tinned sweetcorn, drained and rinsed (use more or less according to preference)
- Pinch of kelp granules OR 1 tbsp nori sprinkles (optional – only use if you want the slightly oceanic taste)
- 8 slices wholemeal bread and vegan butter (our favourite is Naturli)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- Drain and rinse the almonds after soaking.
- Add the drained almonds into a food processor or similar. There is no need to remove the almond skins.
- Pulse the almonds until finely chopped. Do this in short bursts – you want to avoid a paste, so don’t over-process. It should look a little like flaked tuna.
- Place into a medium mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients, giving a few good stirs to combine. Taste and add more seasoning or other flavours if you wish – remember that it will marinate and soak up the flavours if left for a few hours or so.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto the buttered bread. Enjoy 🙂
Did you know that Vegan Recipe Club is run by a charity?
We create vital resources to help educate everyone – vegan veterans, novices and the v-curious alike – about vegan food, health and nutrition; as well as the plight of farmed animals and the devastating environmental impact of farming.
Through this work we have helped thousands of people discover veganism; but we want to reach millions more! We rely entirely on donations as we don’t get any government funding. If you already support us, thank you from the bottom of our hearts, you are really making a difference! Please share our details with your friends and loved ones too, as every donation enables us to keep fighting for change.