A great 'veganiser' recipe... good as a starter or as party food. The Hollandaise recipe can easily be made in larger quantities too. If you aren't keen on rashers, try it with smoked tofu - or just with asparagus. It's also good as a dip for globe artichokes.
Vegan Hollandaise Sauce
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 dried bay leaf
40g/generous 1oz silken tofu
125g/4oz vegan margarine, eg Pure, Biona or Suma
1 tsp turmeric
Lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
12 fat spears of asparagus
30g/1oz vegan margarine
1 packet vegan ham or pepperoni, eg VBites Cheatin' Pepperoni; Cheatin' Ham; Bute Island Deli Slices; Vegusto Deli Slices
1. Pre heat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Make the sauce. Put the vinegar in a small pan with the peppercorns and bay leaf. Reduce the vinegar over a high heat until there is only 1 tbsp left. Strain the peppercorns and the bay leaf from this reduction.
3. Put the silken tofu in a food processor with the vinegar reduction.
4. Gently melt the margarine so the solids fall to the bottom of the saucepan.
5. Add the turmeric to the food processor. Turn the processor on and slowly pour the margarine on to the tofu with the motor still running. The sauce will start to thicken. When only the margarine solids are left, stop
6. If the sauce is too thick, add a little hot water. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a little lemon juice. Keep it warm while you cook the spears.
7. Cut Cheatin’ slices into strips and wrap around the asparagus.
8. Brush each spear lightly with margarine and bake for 3-4 minutes until lightly roasted.
9. Serve immediately, with the Hollandaise sauce on the side.