Delicious vegan pizza. Use a vegan-friendly base (milk-free) such as Napolina; M&S pizza base; Sainsbury’s Thin & Crispy Twin Pizza Base OR Italian Pizza Base; Waitrose Stoneground. You can also use pitta breads or buy a gluten-free base (but make sure it doens't contain egg).
- GF options: Amisa, Biona etc sell gluten-free and vegan pizza bases; Goodness Direct, Ocado and other online stores sell them, as do many health food shops. However, read the packets or online ingredients as some GF brands contain egg - or in the case of mixes, require an egg to be added.
- Eating out: it's worth checking local pizzerias to see if they do vegan cheese. Zizi's do and so do many independents. Pizza Express are halfway there - they do a big vegan pizza (but without cheese - yet - but you can take your own unopened packet and they'll grate it on for you!). Given the rise of vegan numbers we think it's likely that other chains and indies will follow suit soon - keep up your polite pestering! Some may also do a vegan and GF option - just ask, but check there's no added egg.
Picture courtesy of Chava Eichner, Flavourphotos
- 1-2 pizza bases, eg Napolina (see above for others) - 2 bases will serve 2-4 people, depending on how hungry you are!
- Pizza topping from a jar - or use a tomato-based pasta sauce or just some tomato puree
- 3 medium mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small red pepper, cut into thin rings or slices
- Other veg of your choice: sweetcorn, olives, tinned artichoke hearts cut in half, thinly-sliced onions etc are all very good
- Olive oil
- 3 tbsp grated melting vegan ‘cheese’ such as Violife, VBites Melting Mozzarella/Melting Cheddar, Mozzarisella - find in most larger supermarket branches or health food shops
- Freshly ground black pepper
ALL KITTED OUT
Chopping board; sharp knife; grater, spoon to dollop sauce on pizza; pizza cutter if possible - otherwise use a knife
- Preheat oven to temperature according to instructions on pizza base packet. (Usually around 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 or upwards).
- Slice vegetables thinly.
- Spread pizza base with topping, then arrange vegetables and cheese artistically on top.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are just tender and the cheese has melted.