It only takes three minutes or so - all you need is a food processor or blender to make a delicious vegan mayo. It is much cheaper than buying it in a jar.
Silken tofu is sold in large branches of most supermarkets, or find it in health food shops and Oriental grocers. Brands to look out for include Mori-nu; Blue Dragon; Clearspring - sold in long-life cartons - or Taifun's fresh silken tofu. Oriental grocers (eg Chinese or Korean) also sell competitively priced and great quality silken tofu in the fridge. Look for brands like Unicurd or Pulmone- some are organic, most are non-GM.
- 1 box firm silken tofu OR 350g/12oz fresh silken tofu
- 3 tbsp lemon juice OR cider vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar OR 2 tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 60ml/4tbsp plain oil, such as rapeseed. Drizzle in a little more if you want it thicker
1. Drain the tofu in a sieve or colander then blend it until it is completely smooth. Halfway through blending, use a spatula to scrape down the sides and integrate any lumps. Blend again, making sure the tofu has lost its grainy texture and is smooth and shiny.
2. Add the lemon juice/cider vinegar, salt, sweetener and mustard. Blend again.
3. Drizzle in the oil slowly and blend. If using a food processor you can do this while the motor is running. If using a goblet or hand blender you will need to stop it then drizzle in a bit of oil and repeat until the oil is completely integrated. Taste and add more salt/sweetener/mustard if desired - then blend again.
4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for several days. Mix it up with a spoon if it starts to separate.