The dressing lifts this lovely, colourful salad to greater heights!
1.6K long-grain brown rice, cooked in 40g/7tsp vegan bouillon powder
1 x 400g tin of pineapple, unsweetened - or 2 fresh pineapples, peeled, cored and sliced
7 ripe avocados
2 bunches spring onions, chopped - leave a few for decoration
4 stalks celery, finely chopped
8 mixed coloured peppers, sliced finely
4 packs bean sprouts, washed and drained well
110g raisins or 2 handfuls of dried apricots, chopped with scissors
200g peanuts - roasted or unroasted
200g toasted cashew pieces
7 tbsp sesame seeds
240ml plain oil
150ml toasted sesame oil
1Litre carton orange or pineapple juice (use juice from tinned pineapple also if appropriate)
7 garlic cloves, crushed
7 tsp grated fresh ginger
100ml shoyu or tamari soya sauce
90ml cider vinegar
Sprinkle of chilli flakes
1. If rice is already cooked and chilled, go to no. 4.
2. Wash the rice then put it in a pan with enough water to cover plus about 2cm/1 inch over. Sprinkle in the bouillon and bring to the boil.
3. Simmer for 25-30 minutes. Then reduce to a medium heat. The liquid should be cooked out by the end of the cooking process. If the rice looks as if it is drying up before it is cooked, add small amounts of hot water.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. Then toast the sesame seeds in a heavy frying pan over a medium heat, turning continuously with a spatula to prevent burning. Aim for a light golden colour. Remove from pan and set aside until needed. Do the same for the cashews if they are not already roasted.
5. Make the dressing in a large jug or jar. Whisk vigorously to integrate all the ingredients.