Tabbouleh - Middle Eastern Salad
A beautiful, fresh and tangy Middle-Eastern salad made from bulghur – cracked wheat – that is particularly good with falafel or other salads. The mint and lemon give it a taste of sunshine – and it’s even more delicious if made a few hours beforehand and allowed to marinate in the fridge. If you are wheat intolerant, replace with cooked quinoa or even cooked brown rice. Good as part of a mezze (Middle Eastern platter) eg hummus, baba ganoush, falafel, pitta bread etc
- 175g/6oz bulgar wheat
- 325ml/11fl oz boiling water
- 5ml/1 tsp salt
- 45ml/3 tbsp olive oil
- 45ml/3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- Half a bunch of parsley, chopped (any type)
- 30ml/2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 10ml/2 tsp fresh coriander, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- Quarter of a cucumber, finely diced
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- Handful of black or green olives, according to taste
1. Put bulgar in bowl and pour on boiling water.
2. Sprinkle with salt and stir.
3. Cover and leave to stand for 20 minutes or until it has absorbed all water and is soft.
4. Drizzle oil and lemon juice over bulgar.
5. Add garlic, herbs and good grinding of black pepper.
6. Add vegetables and mix in.
7. Toss well, cover and chill for as long as possible.
8. Stud with olives and serve.
9. Optional extras: roasted peppers, chopped; grated carrot; chopped avocado.