This is a simplified version of a recipe elsewhere on the site - basically, you use a dry pancake mix.
Extra Cheatin' Version: Use thin wraps, warm them through, mix in shredded spinach, tomatoes and vegan cheese and grill or cram into a toastie machine.
A packet of vegan dry pancake mix, eg Orgran, Amisa etc plus liquid and oil additions, according to the packet direction.
Oil to fry
Optional: 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes plus any other flavourings you wish, eg a pinch of dried herbs; black pepper etc
2 large handfuls of baby spinach. Shred it by ripping with your fingers or scissoring roughly
4 tomatoes, chopped roughly
Small block of vegan cheese, grated OR use vegan cream cheese, such as Sheese, Tesco, Tofutti, Vbites, Vegusto, Violife...
ALL KITTED OUT: measuring jug; bowl and whisk or hand blender and jug or similar; colander to wash the spinach, small chopping board and knife for the tomatoes; grater if using vegan hard cheese; frying pan and fish slice or similar
1. Make the batter. Mix the dry batter mix plus the liquid and oil as stated on the pancake packet. Whisk by hand or blend until smooth. Stir in the shredded spinach. Pre-heat your grill to medium.
2. Heat the frying pan until a small drop of water dropped on it spits! Then add a little oil. Drain off any excess (or use low-cal spray, as above).
3. Make the pancake(s). Pour about a quarter of the batter mixture in to the frying pan to cover the bottom . Smooth out the mixture using a spatula.
4. Fry on one side for a couple of minutes. Loosen the edges with a spatula and carefully flip it over. Fry the flip side for another minute or until done .
5. Grill the topping. Arrange a quarter of the sliced tomatoes on the top of each pancake. Sprinkle with grated vegan block cheese or small dollops of vegan cream cheese plus salt and pepper to taste. Place back under a heated grill to soften the cheese and lightly brown the tomatoes. (Alternatively, fold each pancake in half and squeeze it into a toastie machine!)
6. Repeat stages 2-5 to make four pancakes, keeping each one warm in the meantime. Serve with some vegan mayo or chutney. Plain vegan yoghurt also works nicely.