* 500g/1lb 2oz organic potatoes, scrubbed not peeled
* 1 teaspoon fennel, caraway or cumin seeds (optional)
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 425g/14oz can baked beans
1. Grate potatoes coarsely by hand or using a food processor.
2. Add seeds, if using, and season well with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, and add grated potato mixture, spreading evenly over base of pan and pressing down.
4. Cover and cook gently for about 5 minutes, or until underside golden brown and crisp.
5. Ease rosti away from frying pan using a fish slice or palette knife, and slide out onto large plate.
6. Heat rest of oil in frying pan, then slide rosti off plate into hot oil to cook second side.
7. Cook, uncovered – to keep cooked side crisp – for further 4-5 minutes, or until second side golden brown and potato cooked right through.
8. A few minutes before rosti ready, heat baked beans gently in a saucepan.
9. Cut rosti into halves or wedges and serve with beans.