Quinoa & Smoked Tofu Salad with Fresh Herbs
A simple and lovely recipe - quinoa and smoked tofu are a good taste combo, as well as being very nutritious. All the vegetable chopping and other preparation can be done while the quinoa is cooking. Taifun Smoked Tofu is available from health food shops and Waitrose. Quinoa is quick to cook - or can be bought ready-cooked in sachets, eg Merchant Gourmet brand.
- 2 cups just-boiled water from a kettle
- 1 rounded tsp vegan bouillon OR 1 Green Oxo
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pack firm smoked tofu, approximately 225g, cubed
- 1 small yellow pepper, chopped small
- 1 pack cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cucumber, diced
- 1 small pack of fresh parsley (any type), finely chopped
- 1 small pack of fresh mint, finely chopped
1. Place the hot water, bouillon/stock cube tand quinoa in a saucepan. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until tender. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and add a splash more hot water if necessary. , Spread the quinoa on a baking tray to cool for 10 minutes - or use pre-cooked, chilled quinoa!
2. Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the cooled quinoa, tofu, yellow pepper, tomatoes, cucumber and chopped herbs. Toss well to mix everything together. Serve and eat.