Quick Thai Yellow Curry with Carrot
A creamy and flavoursome Thai Yellow Curry
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 600g/1lb 5oz carrots, thinly sliced
- 400g/14 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped into small medium-sized pieces
- 150ml/5 fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 4 tbsp shop-brought Yellow Curry Paste (check it is vegan as some brands contain fish sauce. Thai Taste is a good brand and widely available)
- 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
- Lime to finish
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the shallots and garlic. Fry until the shallots have softened.
2. Add in the carrots, mushrooms and pepper and mix in well. Allow the veg to fry for a couple of minutes.
3. Now add the stock, peanut butter and curry paste. Stir well, bring to boil, and then turn down to simmer for around 30 mins.
4. Add in the coconut milk and lime leaves and warm through.
5. Serve with lime juice squeezed over the top, with some of the rind grated over for decoration if you wish.
NB this is the sort of curry that will ‘age’ well and taste even better a few hours later or the day after! Serve with Thai rice.