One of our special 'Mood Food' recipes - packed with lots of brain-boosting nutrients including B Vitamins, Omegas, Amino Acids, Protein, Magnesium and Zinc - to help boost your mood, sharpen your mind and combat stress.
3 tbsp peanut butter (or almond or cashew butter for e healthier option)
½ tsp chilli sauce (garlic and ginger variety particularly nice)
1 tbsp soya sauce - shoyu or the GF tamari especialy good
4 tbsp hot water
1 tsp agave syrup
Noodles & Veg
150g/5½oz soba or other noodles, egg-free. Use GF noodles eg rice, if appropriate. Or use straight to wok noodles for an even quicker dish, eg Amoy
1 tbsp vegetable oil
100g/3oz mange tout
1 red pepper, chopped
1 packet Cauldron marinated tofu pieces. For a GF option use plain tofu, cubed and pre-fried then drizzled with a little tamari
To serve: red chilli flakes, lime segment and flaked almonds
3 handfuls of kale, chopped fine, stalks removed
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
1. To make the sauce, place all the ingredients into a small bowl, whisk until smooth, then set aside.
2. Make the noodles: bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Be careful not to overcook them.
3. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a medium frying pan. Stir-fry the beansprouts, mange tout and pepper on a medium-high heat for around 5 minutes so they are slightly softened but still crunchy. Add a splash of water if they start to catch.
4. Turn off the heat then stir in the tofu pieces. Set aside.
5. Steam the kale for a couple of minutes - in the microwave on on the stove - before stirring in the sesame seeds and oil if using. Remove from the heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.
6. To assemble the Pad Thai, drain off the noodles using a colander then rinse briefly with cold water to stop them sticking together.
7. Spoon the noodles into the frying pan with the vegetables and tofu. Turn the heat back on and stir in the satay sauce.
8. Using a pair of tongs, gently lift up the noodles to mix them well with the vegetables and tofu so everything gets nicely coated with the sauce. Do this as the food is warming through.
9. Serve the Pad Thai with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, a segment of lime and almond slices – and the Sesame Kale on the side.