Nutty Walnut Granola Crunch
Start the day as you mean to go on with this lovely, crunchy-style cereal. Unlike many commercial varieties, it isn’t laden with oil, refined sugar or honey. Serve with a plant milk such as almond, soya or rice - and fresh fruit.
Once cooled, it will keep for ages in an air-tight container stored in a cool place. You could always halve the quantities but this recipe makes oven use worthwhile!
1. Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Combine oats, flour, walnuts, sunflower seeds and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together juice, syrup, oil, water and vanilla.
4. Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until moistened evenly.
5. Divide mixture between two large oven trays, spreading out into a 2cm/1 inch thick layer.
6. Bake until golden brown, stirring well every 15 minutes – use a timer.
7. Cooking time total 50-60 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and stir in raisins while mixture is still hot.
9. When the granola is cooled completely, store it in airtight containers in the fridge or a cool cupboard.
10. Other options include chopped dates, chopped unsulphured apricots - or any dried fruit of your choice.