Nutty Walnut Granola Crunch
Start the day as you mean to go on with this lovely, crunchy-style cereal. Unlike many commercial varieties, it isn’t laden with oil, refined sugar or honey. Serve with a plant milk such as almond, soya or rice - and fresh fruit.
Once cooled, it will keep for ages in an air-tight container stored in a cool place. You could always halve the quantities but this recipe makes oven use worthwhile!
Omit nuts/seeds or anything else to which you may have an intolerance - but if appropriate, replace with cold-milled hemp protein powder for a protein/omega boost
- 600g/1 pound 5oz rolled oats (use a GF variety if necessary)
- 150g/5oz barley or (GF) brown rice flour
- 125g/scant 5oz coarsely chopped walnuts (omit if allergic)
- 125g/scant 5oz raw sunflower or other seeds (omit if allergic but use hemp powder if appropriate)
- ½ tsp salt
- 240ml/8 fl oz apple juice concentrate, eg Suma or Rock's
- 120ml/4 fl oz agave, date or maple syrup (agave is best if you can get it)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g/generous 5oz raisins or other dried fruit, chopped if necessary
1. Preheat oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Combine oats, flour, walnuts, sunflower seeds and salt in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together juice, syrup, oil, water and vanilla.
4. Pour over dry ingredients and mix thoroughly until moistened evenly.
5. Divide mixture between two large oven trays, spreading out into a 2cm/1 inch thick layer.
6. Bake until golden brown, stirring well every 15 minutes – use a timer.
7. Cooking time total 50-60 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and stir in raisins while mixture is still hot.
9. When the granola is cooled completely, store it in airtight containers in the fridge or a cool cupboard.
10. Other options include chopped dates, chopped unsulphured apricots - or any dried fruit of your choice. We also recommend hemp protein powder.