900g/2lb plum tomatoes (Or you can cheat and use two tins of chopped! If so, start at no. 4)
30ml/2 tbsp olive oil
275g/10oz onions, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
900ml/1½ pts/3¾ cups vegetable stock
30ml/2 tbsp sun dried tomato paste (or just blitz about 3-4 SDT with water)
10ml/2 tsp paprika
15ml/1 tbsp cornflour or ½ tbsp arrowroot (arrowroot is GF)
425g/15oz tin cannellini or other small white beans, rinsed and drained
30ml/2tbsp chopped fresh basil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
olive bread, to serve
Kale or other greens, finely shredded - a few handfuls
1-2 carrots, grated
1. If using fresh tomatoes, place in bowl of just boiled water.
2. Leave for 20-30 seconds, then drain off in cold water.
3. Peel skins, quarter and cut each piece in half again.
4. Heat oil in large pan and cook onions and garlic for 3 minutes, until soft.
5. Add tomatoes to onion garlic mix, add stock, tomato paste and paprika.
6. Season with a little salt and pepper.
7. If you like warm bread, turn on oven to medium heat and put bread on a baking sheet.
8. Bring soup to boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Mix cornflour/arrowroot to a paste with 30ml/2tbsp cold water.
10. Stir beans into soup with cornflour paste.
11. Adjust seasoning and stir in chopped basil, just before serving.
12. Eat with warm olive bread, if using.