French Tomato Salad
Simple and lovely. Like all the best recipes, it's nicest when the tomatoes are in season, rather than imported. Go for the best you can find - this is where a good local greengrocer comes up trumps.Also, try for organic if you can stretch to it; tomatoes are one of the most heavily sprayed crops.
PIcture courtesy of the Vegan Version
- 4 medium large thinly sliced tasty tomatoes (aim for at least one tomato per person)
- 1 large very thinly sliced red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
- Lots of fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped with scissors
- To serve: Mustard Vinaigrette
- Mustard vinaigrette (quantities can be halved or doubled if desired)
- 175ml/6fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 75ml/3fl oz white wine vinegar
- 2 dsp (40ml) French or Dijon mustard
- A little salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
1.Make the vinaigrette by placing everything into a jug or screwtop jar. Whisk with a fork thoroughly to mix it all together. It should emulsify - the oil and vinegar should form a sauce. Set aside.
2. Slice the tomatoes and onions as instructed. Arrange on a nice flat platter or dish, add garlic, salt and pepper then drizzle with vinaigrette. Scatter with lots of basil pieces and serve immediately.