Five Grain Risotto
A multigrain miracle - gourmet, simple and good for you.
The risotto also freezes well. The risotto goes well with stir fried/steamed veg - and lots of the sauces on this website too. Try
Mustard Peanut Sauce
Miso Ginger Sauce
Cheesy Sauce (tahini based) or Cheesy Sauce (tofu based)
Tweak the grains to fit your diet - eg omit barley
Use a pre-cooked single grain or mixture eg
- Merchant Gourmet Quinoa, Red Rice & Wholegrains
- Merchant Gourmet Red & White Quinoa
- Sainsbury's Brown Basmati
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 980ml/35fl oz vegetable stock
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 115g/4oz brown basmati or brown long-grain rice
- 115g/4oz barley (omit if GF and double the brown rice quantities)
- 60g/2oz wild rice (plain unadulterated wild rice is GF) - but use a quick-cook type (about 30 minutes)
- 60g/2oz red rice (as wild rice)
- 60g/2oz roasted buckwheat (it is GF, despite the name!)
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp soya sauce (for a GF alternative use Tamari type)
1. In a medium sized, heavy saucepan, cook onion, carrot, celery and a quarter of the stock over a medium heat until the vegetables are just softened – about 5 minutes.
2. Add the sage, thyme, marjoram, pepper and salt.
3. Add all grains except the buckwheat and stir constantly for about 2 minutes to toast them.
4. Add the Dijon mustard, soya sauce and quarter of the stock.
5. Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, adding the buckwheat 15 minutes before end.
6. As liquid boils down, add rest of stock a quarter at a time, until liquid absorbed.
7. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.