Easy Peasy Speedy Fajitas
A lovely quick, nutritious meal using store cupboard ingredients. Chopping the veg into small pieces makes it more likely that young kids will eat them!
Picture courtesy of 7shadesofvegan.blogspot.com
- Wraps, 1-2 per person: eg Old El Paso fajitas OR Discovery tortillas - preferably wholemeal
- Oil or oil spray
- 1 pack of plain tofu, cubed OR vegan chicken-style pieces such as Asda or Fry's
- Stir-fry sauce, eg Tesco Black Bean sauce or Blue Dragon Garlic & Ginger (wok fry 3 mins)
- 1 pack of stir-fried vegetables
- 1 red pepper, sliced very small
- 6 spring onions, sliced small
- 1 large leek, chopped small
- 4 crushed garlic cloves or a big squeeze of garlic paste
- 1 jar of fajita sauce (El Paso, Discovery or other brand that is vegan)
- 2 ready-to-eat avocados
- 1 clove garlic, crushed OR ½ tsp garlic paste
- Lime juice
- Tomato salsa, from a jar or fresh tub
- Tub of Tofutti sour crème OR jar of vegan mayo, eg Plamil
1. If using tofu, drain and gently squeeze as much water out as possible. Cut into cubes.
2. In a non-stick pan, cook the tofu or chicken-style pieces in a little oil or oil spray. Add the stir-fry sauce and set aside.
3. In a wok, fry all the vegetables for a few minutes. Add the fajita sauce just before the end.
4. Make the guacamole: peel the avocados, remove the stone and mash them up with a fork in a small bowl. Mix in the garlic, salt and lime juice, tasting and adding more if desired.
5. Warm the fajitas/wraps by wrapping them in a clean teatowel or kitchen paper – microwave for 20-30 seconds. Alternatively, wrap in foil and heat in a warm oven for 10-15 minutes. Put everything in separate dishes on table; everyone tucks in!