A creamy vegan cheesecake hat is light, fragrant and versatile
This baked cheesecake is lightly flavoured with rosewater and raisins, making it fragrant and creamy without being sickly. It also lends itself to other flavourings. For example, try omitting the rosewater and raisins and use 1 tsp of vanilla essence and top with fresh fruit of your choice. Or grate some fresh ginger and add lime juice and zest – omit raisins or try adding chopped unsulphured apricots.
200g/7oz vegan biscuits, eg ordinary Hobnobs (ie, not chocolate-coated!) or McVitie's Light (vegan, unlike McVitie's regular)
75g/2½oz vegan margarine,
1 pack (350g) firm silken tofu, with liquid
1 tub (225g) of Tofutti Original vegan cream ‘cheese’ (from health food shops)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp golden or agave syrup
½ tsp vanilla essence
4 tsp rosewater
3 tsp arrowroot or cornflour
2 tbsp raisins
the baked cheesecake looks good on its own but you might want to decorate it with some shelled pistachio nuts or fresh fruit.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grind the biscuits until there are no lumps left. Use a food processor if you have one, but if not, place in a strong plastic bag, tie up and crush with a rolling pin or similar.
3. Melt the margarine in a saucepan then add the biscuit crumbs. Mix well so the fat is completely absorbed.
4. Spread the crumb mixture in a lightly oiled non-stick cake tin and press down firmly.
5. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Use a 7-8 inch round springform tin with a loose bottom or 6 individual tartlet tins.
6. Meanwhile, blend the tofu until very smooth. Add the remaining ingredients – except the raisins – and blend well. Stir in the raisins.
7. Remove biscuit crumb base from oven, spoon the cream cheese mixture over the top and bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool and set. Serve when cool.