Classic Nut Roast
Simple but tasty, this classic nut roast is very good with any of our gravy recipes. Adapted from 'Easy Vegan Cooking' by Leah Leneman.
We've added a few things to make it firmer and easier to slice - but it can also be made into lovely individual 'mini' roasts - use muffin cases or a well-greased muffin tin.
- 1 onion
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 small tomatoes
- 30g/1oz wholemeal flour (gf option use brown gf flour)
- 140ml/5fl oz water
- 1 tbsp soya sauce (gf option use tamari soya sauce)
- 115g/4oz hazelnuts
- 115g/4oz broken cashew nuts
- 85g/3oz wholemeal breadcrumbs (gf option, use gf breadcrumbs eg Ogran)
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp gram flour, available from larger supermarkets, Asian grocers and health food shops
- 2 tbsp flax meal (ground flax/linseeds eg Aldi Harvest Morn Golden Linseed) + 4 tbsp warm water
- Optional: pine nuts to scatter on the top - add about 10 minutes before the end of baking time or else they will burn
1. Score the tomato skins, place in a cup and top with boiling hot water.
2. Chop the onion finely and sauté it in the oil until tender.
3. Preheat the oven to 350ºF/180°C/Gas Mark 4.
4. Skin and chop the tomatoes and add them to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and slowly add the water, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Remove from the heat.
4. Grind the hazelnuts and add them to the sauce together with all the other ingredients. Mix very thoroughly and place in a greased bread tin or pie dish. Bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Serve with gravy and seasonal vegetables.