Home»Recipes»Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Butter Cream Icing
60 minutes including preparation and baking
A simple but tasty chocolate cake recipe that uses maple syrup instead of sugar. Alternatively, try agave syrup which is lower GI.
Make it with either chocolate icing - or make it mocha with the addition of some coffee granules! see below...
Photograph courtesy of http://flavourphotos.com/
170g/6oz self-raising wholemeal flour
170g/6oz self-raising white flour
2 tsp baking powder
60g/4tbsp cocoa powder
220ml/8fl oz maple or agave syrup
2 tsp vanilla essence
120ml/4fl oz plain vegetable oil
450ml/16fl oz soya milk
Butter Cream Icing
75g/2½ oz margarine
75g/2½ oz icing sugar
75g/2½ oz cocoa powder
To make Mocha Icing (Ganache), just add 2½ tsp instant coffee granules to the three ingredients above - dilute coffee in 1-2 tbsp boiling water.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C//350°F/Gas Mark 4. Oil two 20cm/8 inch round cake tins and line the bases with baking parchment.
2. Sieve the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a bowl. In another bowl, whisk oil, soya milk, maple syrup and vanilla essence.
3. Pour liquid ingredients gradually into the dry ingredients, whisking gently to make a batter. Pour half cake mixture into each tin. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a sharp knife/cocktail stick comes out cleanly.
4. Meanwhile, make the icing. Cream the margarine with a fork then add the sieved icing sugar and cocoa powder. Mix thoroughly to form a stiff cream. Place in the freezer or fridge until needed.
5. Let the cakes cool in their tins then loosen edges with a knife (or click open the springform if using this type of tin). Turn the cakes out onto a wire rack. When thoroughly cool, sandwich the cakes with 2/3 of the icing in the middle. Use the remaining third on the top. Decorate with chocolate curls or drops if using.