Carrot & Arame Wholegrain Salad with Oriental Omega-3 Dressing
A lovely way to use arame, a type of sea vegetable - while simultaneously upping your omega-3 intake. Result!. Young early carrots are also delicious if it's that time of year.
Sea vegetables are used widely in Japan, where dairy is not a traditional part of their diet. Arame, (pronounced 'a-rah-may') is just one type. It is very tasty, as well as being an excellent source of calcium - much higher than cow's milk. It can be bought from good health food shops.
Gluten-free version - use tamari soya sauce
Photo courtesy of www.flavourphotos.com
- 225g/8oz long grain brown rice or quinoa
- 700ml/25fl oz water
- 1 tsp vegan bouillon powder
- 1 large carrot, grated finely
- 1 handful arame (available in health stores) soaked in cold water for 10 minutes or so, then drained (the liquid can be put aside for soup stock)
- 1 tbsp peanuts or other nuts
Oriental Omega-3 Dressing
Makes 4-5 servings, based on 2 tbsp per salad portion - or just halve the quantities to make less.You can also reduce the amount of oil if you are watching your fat intake. This will keep for a few days in the fridge.
- 60ml/4 tbsp of rice vinegar OR 2 tbsp each of cider vinegar and water
- 1 tbsp shoyu or tamari (types of good quality soya sauce). Tamari is gluten-free
- 2 tbsp light miso
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated OR 2 tbsp pickled ginger, chopped
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 7 tbsp mixed omega-3 oil OR linseed/flaxseed) oil
1. Put the rice or quinoa in a pan with the water and bouillon powder, bring to the boil and then simmer until cooked: 25-30 minutes for brown rice, 15-20 for quinoa.
2. Add a little more hot water if the grains start to stick before fully cooked.
3. Meanwhile, soak arame in cold water and set aside.
4. Make the salad dressing: blend or whisk everything until smooth; pour into a jar with lid; store in fridge and shake before use.
5. When wholegrains are cooked, leave to cool.
6. Drain and rinse the arame. Mix it with plus the grated carrot and peanuts and mix in well with wholegrains.
7. Add some of the dressing and mix in to coat the ingredients well. Serve.