Best Roasted Veg Hummus Topped with Toasted Pinenuts
A lovely variation on an old favourite. For alternative flavours, try different roasted veg (home-roasted, in a jar or frozen), such as courgette or artichoke. It is also great to experiment with different varieties of tinned beans, such as butter beans or mixed beans.
NB some people swear that home-cooked chickpeas make a superior hummus - but it's up to you!
Picture courtesy of lovely blog Dough Also Rises
1. Drain half a jar of roasted peppers. If making from scratch, de-seed, chop and then roast a red pepper in an oven, at 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4 for 20 mins and allow to cool.
2. To create a really smooth hummous, simmer the tinned chick peas in fresh water for around 15 mins.
3. Meanwhile, blend all the other ingredients with a hand blender or food processor until they reach your preferred texture.
4. Drain the chick peas and allow to cool before adding them to the mixture and blending further. Add more olive oil or water to adjust consistency if needed plus salt and pepper to taste.
5. To finish, toast the pinenuts under a grill for just a couple of mins (watch them carefully as they can burn quickly).
6. Spoon hummous into a deep bowl, then sprinkle the pinenuts, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil, if desired. Serve with toasted wholemeal pitta bread, rice cakes, raw vegetable sticks - or just about anything you fancy.