Avocado & Smoked Tofu Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
A great way to use tofu if you aren't too familiar with it. One of our perennial favourites - it always wins converts at our cookery demos!
It's particularly nice with Taifun smoked tofu - available from good health food shops or large branches of Waitrose.
- 2 large, ripe avocados
- 1 packet smoked tofu available from large supermarkets or health food stores. Taifun is the firmerst in texture. Other brands such as Dragonfly are good but softer so if you want it crispy, fry for a minute or two first and add a splash of soya sauce at the end
- 2 dsp sesame seeds
- Salt and black pepper
- 175ml/6fl oz extra virgin olive oil
- 75ml/3fl oz white wine vinegar
- 2 dsp (40ml) French or Dijon mustard
- A little salt
- Lots of freshly ground black pepper
1. In a pan, dry roast the sesame seeds over a high heat until starting to pop and brown. Keep stirring with a wooden spatula so they don't burn
2. Allow to cool
3. Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette: mix the oil, white wine vinegar, mustard, salt and black pepper in a jar - use a fork to dissolve mustard then put lid on jar and give it a good shake
4. Divide the avocados into halves, length-ways. Remove the stone and skin
5. Place each half on an individual serving plate and cut into 6 slices
6. Cut the smoked tofu into thin slices and insert in between avocado cuts
7. Season with a little salt
8. Pour the vinaigrette round then sprinkle seeds artistically over top of everything
9. Sprinkle black pepper over the salad and serve
10. The vinaigrette recipe makes quite a lot, but will keep for ages in a screw-top jar in the fridge. Alternatively, half or even quarter the quantities!